Sunday, September 14, 2008

Teaching Methods: Directed Instructional VS. Constructivist

The directed instructional method is more teacher based. It stresses the student doing individual work and there are specific skill-based goals and objectives which are the same for all students. In this method the teacher teaches the skills to the students and normally it is taught through lectures and skill worksheets. The assessments for this type of teaching method are normally the traditional methods such as, multiple choice questions, short answers that require specific responses.
The constructivist model is more student-orientated and stressed group based, cooperative work. It has goals such as problem solving and critical thinking and the goals may differ for each student. The students normally generate their own knowledge through experiences instead of the teacher transferring the skills. In this method there is normally complex learning environments and the students learn through exploration. The types of assessments for constructivist models are nontraditional. They can include things such as web pages, portfolios, and a lot of group work.
I think when it comes to teaching with technology it is important that teachers use the constructivist model. I believe that students learn the most by exploring and doing things on their own. Sometimes it may be appropriate for a teacher to transmit knowledge to students but whenever possible students should learn things on their own. I also think the assessments for the constructivist method are more appropriate for technology. A true way to find out if students really know what they are doing is to have them actually do it by creating a portfolio. Multiple choice questions do not always test all of the students knowledge, normally they just prove what the student knows not what the student knows how to do.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

I saw that we both feel that constructivism is the best teaching method for teaching technology. By having the learning be student centered, students can become more engaged and possibly learn more. You also mentioned how a portfolio is a good way to show all that you have learned and completed. I agree with that completely. As much as a am not looking forward to completing my developing portfolio, I think it is truly important because it will show all the work we have completed up to that point.